Help for Couples
How Can I Help You Improve the Quality of Your Relationship?
- Teach you how to actively listen to each other in respectful and considerate ways so that it becomes safe for both of you to ask for what you want without fearing that the other partner will feel unfairly criticized or judged.
- Help clarify your rights, privileges and obligations to yourself and to each other so that you each know what you're reasonably entitled to and what may be unrealistic expectations that are leaving you both unnecessarily unhappy.
- Support you to overcome any fears of commitment and/or fears of intimacy so that you can enjoy the fruits of a committed and intimate relationship.
- Teach and model what it means to fight fairly and resolve arguments amicably.
- Raise awareness of, understand why, and teach you how to break unhealthy patterns of relating learned during your childhoods.
- Understand the importance of, and learn how to maintain a united front while raising your kids based on a negotiated and shared set of parenting guidelines.
Relevant ArticlesRetirement Would Be A Cinch If I Didn’t Have To Stop Working
Life transitions often leave us painfully aware of requirements that we grow as executive managers of our lives. This is a composite story of many patients of mine whose hopeful expectations of retirement were at first, bitterly disappointed. It is a heartening tale of one man’s discovery of and use of resources to embrace new found freedoms as opportunities for joy, self-esteem, and self-confidence.The Keys To Turning Domestic Conflicts Into Win-Win Propositions
After years of couples counseling I decided to write an article summarizing the behavioral keys to building and sustaining successful relationships that balance respect and consideration for the individuals and their partnerships."Honey, I'll be right in to talk as soon as I put my football gear on."
This article discusses the importance of creating an environment of safety if partners are to find freedom in their relationships to experience love, acceptance and satisfaction through open self expression.How Can We Be So Hurt By Our Partners When They Behave Without Malice?
This article discusses when couples in crisis get there because of one partner’s idealized and outdated expectations of the other partner that cannot be fulfilled. When thankless sacrifices are made in pursuit of these longings, love can turn quickly to hate and old wounds are reopened.Do You Become A Human Vending Machine When Your Buttons Are Pushed?
This article discusses strategies to help spouses sensitize the other to communications they find hurtful so that vicious cycles of attack and counterattack can be broken.more articles...